The School Committees believe that student activities are a vital part of the total educational program and should be used as a means for developing wholesome attitudes and good human relations and knowledge and skills. Therefore, the schools will provide a broad and balanced program of activities geared to the various ages, interests, and needs of students.
The educational program will include a planned and developed student activities program that will contribute to the abilities, social wellbeing, and leadership opportunities of all students. Membership and participation will be open to all unless specific qualifications, as noted in the annual student handbooks, are not met by the individual.
Student activities are defined as planned, organized, and supervised activities conducted under the auspices of a school or an element thereof which primarily involve students in other than classroom situations. These activities will be of sufficient variety and number to meet the wide range of interests and needs of the students.
The educational goal for each student is a balanced program of appropriate academic studies and student activities to be determined by the school, parents, and students.
The following will serve as guides in the organization of student activities:
- The schools will observe a complementary relationship to the home and community, planning activities with due regard for the widespread and rich facilities already available to students.
- The assistance of parents in planning activity programs will be encouraged.
- The goal for each student will be a balanced program of appropriate academic studies and activities to be determined by the school, the parents, and the student. This should be a shared responsibility.
- Guidance will be offered to encourage participation of all students in appropriate activities and to prevent over-emphasis on extracurricular activities at the cost of academic performance.
- All activities will be supervised.
Region Voted to Approve: 1/28/86
Amherst Voted to Approve:
Pelham Voted to Approve:
Effective Date: 1/28/86