The Munson Memorial Library was founded to honor Parnell Munson. Mr. Parnell Munson was mysteriously killed on a dark and stormy night. He left his wife, Mrs. Mary Munson, a large amount of money.
When his wife died in 1900, she left a will, leaving $30,000 to the town asking the town to build a memorial building, the Munson Memorial Library. But the building could not be built with just the money Mrs. Munson left. The town could not afford any land. At first, the town was going to use the money to make a new wing in the Jones Library, but then W.H. Atkins generously gave them part of his own land to use. This was very lucky, for this is how the Munson was able to be built.